Tuesday 18 January 2011

brother! now don’t leave the homework undone

greedy.jpg jb.jpg

“So now ladies and gentlemen it is star time, are you ready for star time? Thank you and thank you very kindly. It is indeed a great pleasure to present to you at this particular time, national and internationally known as the hardest working man in show business, the men that sing "I'll Go Crazy" ... "Try Me" ... "You've Got the Power" ... "Think" ... "If You Want Me" ... "I Don't Mind" ... "Bewildered" ...the million dollar seller, "Lost Someone" ... the very latest release, "Night Train" ... let's everybody "Shout and Shimmy" ... Mr. Dynamite, the amazing Mr. Please Please himself, the star of the show, James Brown and the Famous Flames! "

We’re getting close to our second outing at The Brown Sugar Bar so I thought I’d take this opportunity to sneak a new post up while I had the chance

‘I’m A Greedy Man’ by James Brown is a 45 I’ve always overlooked until recently. It seems to be one of those singles that’s always in record shop racks and on sales lists when I’m looking for something else. So when I eventually picked up a copy I nearly kicked myself for ignoring it for so long!!

The minute you drop the needle and hear The Godfather shout “PICK UP ON THIS! PICK UP ON THIS!!” You just know you’re onto a sure fire winner.

It was released on Polydor in 1971 roughly around the time that James Brown’s own label, People Records had started up.

I’m pretty sure this was recorded with the line up that included Bootsy Collins and Fred Wesley, Although whether Maceo Parker had returned from touring with Maceo And All The Kings Men by then I’m not so sure about??

The arrangement is clearly as tight as any of his many releases. Catchy Horns and a killer bass line leading the way are all interspersed with screams and cat calls. Bobby Byrd on backing vocals rounding things up nicely.

Any way I hope you enjoy it and we hope to see you Saturday! All the details can be found HERE



No comments: